04 July 2012

Getting Up: The Tempt One Story

Friends. Hello.

I have to say it's not often I combine personal and professional on this blog. Actually, I think this very moment might be the first, but I couldn't help but share about a new project I'm working on. Well, I'm working on a couple projects, all related to one organization called the Not Impossible Foundation. I'll share one with you today, and one with you tomorrow.


The project I want to share with you today is called The EyeWriter. In 2003, LA graffiti artist Tempt One was diagnosed with ALS. He came home from a run one day and had a tingle in his legs. Today he is almost completely paralyzed.

But that sad stuff isn't really Tempt One's story, or at least it doesn't end there. A group of really smart (like, crazy smart) people stepped in. Using inexpensive cameras, cheap glasses, and open source software, they created the EyeWriter, and it enabled Tempt One to draw and communicate using only his eye movements.


"This was the first time I've drawn anything for seven years. I feel like I've been held underwater, and someone finally reached down and pulled my head up so I can breathe." (Mick Elebling, quoting graffiti artist Tempt One.)


I know. Incredible, right?

Time magazine named it one of the best inventions of 2010, and there has been a ton of buzz around it, but I had never heard of it. Until now.

It wasn't ever a goal to make a movie, but as the EyeWriter was being built people realized that this had to be put down on film.  Getting Up: The Tempt One Story tells this fantastic journey. It's about hope and perseverance. About human perspective, and the importance of art and creativity.

The film is now in post production and is nearing completion. There's a ton of great press going around about it. Right now, we are working to fund this movie through post production and into distribution.

While we're building up corporate sponsorship, we also are reaching out on a grassroots level and running a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter.  If you have a dollar or two to spare, please consider donating. Stories are important. True and inspirational stories are even more important. They bring hope and spark ideas.


Even if you don't have anything to give right now, please click over and back the project with $0. It'll help this project be promoted on Kickstarter, which is huge. I hate asking for money, but I think this is an awesome story, a hope filled story, and something that should be told. 

If you want to know more about the movie, the Eyewriter, or the Not Impossible Foundation, please visit their website or their Facebook page. I'd also suggest watching Mick Ebeling's Ted talk on the Eyewriter. It's pretty powerful stuff.

Thanks for listening, guys. I hope you're as moved by this project as I was. xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, unless you're a troll or a bully, in which case I will delete you so fast...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...